Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blog Post 009 | October 29, 2013 | "Sonnet"

A song sang of sonnets mixed
The ticking clock pulls past
All the things, taught new- to last
Though words oft fell betwixt

And bound, or culled
Or brought by flame
But some to hear refrains
Sits the chorus- partway lulled
Though me, not with disdain

Oh, cruel time!
The noonday hour
The cost the hear these rhymes
Old knowledge- that makes power

And to craft? Far worse!
A taxing game
One's head feels though to burst
So, I end- smiled, and sane.
(But wish for a longer verse)

Notes: This assignment was significantly harder than I thought it would be. The rules imposed by sonnets (which I broke- twice- just to make it sound better) definitely make the rhyme scheme challenging.

I hope my bending of the rules can be forgiven. It almost creates an interesting effect- the brand new student, clumsily aping along his best facsimile of the masters' style.

I had fun with this. I am used to poetry that is completely free flowing and without rules (and often without rhymes). It added a new challenge to try to make it fit into a certain style or “shape” of rhyming.


2 comments:

  1. I think you did well with rhyme. I also like the playful tone, which jousts at the assignment itself and probably gets at least a little inspiration from the Marilyn Hacker poem in your sonnet packet. In practicing the sonnet, though, I think you have to notice that even the contemporary sonnets (okay, not Sherman Alexie's) are concerned with a certain line length. Even if they aren't iambic pentameter, they typically hold to a syllable count or some other means of achieving a particular line length (5 iambic feet or a variation). 8/10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the way it sounded, it was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete